Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Parsley, Basil, Oregano & Thyme


Simon & Garfunkel sang about something similar about 41 years ago. While I haven't been to Scarborough Fair I have planted my own little herb garden. :-) It's sweet, small & simple, but it's a treasure to me.

Conveniently, right at my back doorstep, my little herb garden holds basil (my favorite!), thyme, oregano, parsley & chives. What a treat to have these little bits of Heaven at my fingertips. I love to have fresh basil with tomatoes! Chives are the perfect accent for a baked potato or salad and who doesn't love oregano in Italian dishes.

One of my favorite simple dishes is Herb Roasted Potatoes. I only make this when I have fresh herbs so it's a warm weather favorite at our house. This dish is the best when Vidalia onions are available, but if you don't have those....any sweet onion will do in a pinch.

Like any good Southern cook, I don't measure when I make this recipe. This is all by look, feel & taste; so adjust the herbs to your liking.

HERB ROASTED POTATOES
3-4 white potatoes (Idaho or russet work well)
1 Vidalia Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers, chopped (those from a jar are very good & convenient)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
C
racked Black Pepper
Fresh Herbs : thyme, chives, parsley (or any others that you love)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut the potatoes into cubes, 1-2 to 3/4 of an inch. Place those into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Add the onion, roasted red peppers and season with salt & pepper, to taste. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil; about 4-5 swirls around the dish. Top with fresh herb. Mix all ingredients together with your hands to coat everything with the EVOO. Bake for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are done.