I really love your peaches [ok . . . enough of that one. Thanks Steve Miller ;-) ]
FRESH PEACH COBBLER
Prepare the peaches:
- 2 cups fresh peaches, peeled & cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
In a sauce pan, combine the peaches, sugar & water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir often to make sure the sugar has dissolved and doesn't scorch.
Then you will need:
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup milk (skim or reduced fat is fine)
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- prepared peaches (you can substitute a large can of peaches, undrained, if you're doing this in the dead of winter)
Preheat oven to 350' F. Put the butter in a 9" round baking dish. Place the dish in the heated oven, allowing the butter to melt completely. Once the butter has melted, remove the dish from the oven and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix sugar & flour completely. Slowly add milk; whisking to combine well so there are lumps. Pour the batter over the melted butter, but DO NOT STIR. Gently pour the peaches on top of the batter, then pour the remainder of the peach syrup into the dish. DO NOT STIR.
Return the dish to the oven and bake at 350' for 35-45 minutes or until the crust has risen to the top and turned golden brown. Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and ENJOY!
This recipe will also work with other fresh fruits : berries, apples, etc. Be creative!