Friday, July 22, 2011

Glimpses from My Garden : First Fruits

I love fresh, homegrown tomatoes.  We are blessed with a 2 local farmers markets.  All the offerings are grown locally and many of the farmers depend on local sales to make ends meet.  I love supporting our local farmers because they work so hard to bring us delicious food.  For the past few weeks, I've been supporting our markets by buying tomatoes.  There is just nothing like a fresh, homegrown tomato.  I've been enjoying tomato sandwiches for lunch most everyday.  I'm just saying.....there's nothing better!

I will continue to shop with our local farmers, but I'm so excited that our tomatoes are finally getting ripe.  Here are our first fruits!  A couple of them look like romas, but they are all Better Boys ....and boy, are they good!  We've been having some yellow grape tomatoes for the past few weeks.  I haven't snapped any pics because they are usually consumed quickly...sometimes right off the vine.

I shared this picture on my personal FB page.  A friend commented that the tomato on the bottom was quite odd looking.  Yes, it is!  Amazingly....it tastes just like a sweet banana pepper!  {hoping my peppers will come on and do well.  They've had a slow start, so far}
So...do you love tomatoes?  What's your favorite way to eat fresh tomatoes?  BLT?  Tomatoes and mayo on white bread {that's an Old South delicacy!}, something a little more fancy?  Let me know!
If you have a local farmers market, show 'em some love!  You won't find food that is any better or more fresh anywhere!