Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Oh What A Night : American Idol

What a night it was on American Idol

I knew it had the potential to be fantastic. Andrew Lloyd Webber is one of the most accomplished composers & has written some of the most notable music of our time. Only outstanding singers can perform his songs a they should be done. Some of our idols did and some missed the mark last night.

Carly was by far the best of the evening. Her redition of "Superstar" was outstanding! What an incredible voice! Lord Andrew was surely pleased! Loved the dress too . . . . very cute for a song from the 70s.

David A also did a wonderful contemporary version of "Think of Me" . Really . . . isn't any song from Phantom of the Opera wonderful? I think David's version of this song could be radio-ready.

Syesha finally found her niche! What an incredible performance of a not-so-well-known song, "One Rock & Roll Too Many" from Starlight Express. Musical theater of this style is where her money is. She definitely needs to put her cockiness aside (code for I wanna be like Whitney-Mariah-Beyonce) and go for Broadway.

Jason . . . please DON'T SPEAK! Granted, he's a cute as a button & has a beautiful smile, but doesn't interview well. Unfortunately, his performance "Memory" was SO pitiful. :-( Cats everywhere were crying.

Brooke, I believe, will be going home tonight. He nerves seem to be getting the better of her. She attempted "You Must Love Me" from Evita. I think her heart was in the song, but I think the stress of this competition, missing her sister's wedding, etc is about to take it's toll

David Cook . . . I was really starting to like him and still believe he has a wonderful talent. However, "Music of the Night" is probably the most well-known song from Phantom, and one of my favorites. Honestly, if you can't sing like Michael Crawford (the original Phantom) you probably don't need to do this song. David C missed the mark on this one. His heart and emotion were not in this song. I didn't "feel" it like I do when I hear a performance of Phantom.

Andrew Lloyd Webber with Michael Crawford (The Original Phantom)